Tuesday, December 9, 2008

VirtualBox is impressive

That's it... After just 2 days using VirtualBox as my new VM platform, I am so impressed that I have uninstalled my MS VP2007 and will now be using Virtualbox permanently!


It is just soooo much faster - running 4 instances of Win Server2k3 no problem. Everything is much quicker.

A few things to note:

1. There is no drag and drop capability between the host and the VM, which I admit at first was a bit annoying... but it is easy to map a folder (eg your desktop) from the host to the VM. Hopefully this functionality will be included in future revisions as quite a number of comments on their forums show it is a desirable feature. Still, as I said, with the mapped folder its fine.

2. I have as previously posted, used the vboxmanage command line with clonevdi to clone my .vbi file about 5 times. I ran into problems joining these machines to the domain though, so I got the free utility newsid.exe from sysinternals, which generates a new SID for the machine (make sure you do this BEFORE you join the machine to the domain) and then everything works fine.

3. You have to power down the VM before changing any settings such as networking which I have to admit is pretty annoying. For my current set up though this isnt a problem as I have setup my subnets (the virtual networking capabilities are awesome and far outweigh the cons) so it doesn't bother me too much.

Right, back to it... I have my 70-299 to do!! Lets set up some SSL certificates!

No comments:

Post a Comment